Tuesday, February 17, 2009

good mornin' muffin :0)

I had some banana's hanging out in the freezer and wanted to use them - and since I made my banana peanut butter and honey loaf - I decided to try a recipe out of my Super Natural Cooking cookbook by Heidi Swanson (same author as 101 cookbooks website) and found Heidi's Espresso Banana Muffins.

This is my take on the recipe - I changed it up just a bit. Super delicious. The result is a not too sweet muffin with a little mocha kick - which is never a bad thing :0)

Chocolate-Espresso Banana Pecan Muffins
ingredients:
1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. oatbran
2 tsp b. powder
1/2 tsp fine-grain salt
1/4 c. chopped walnuts, toasted
1 c. chopped pecans, toasted
1 tbsp fine espresso powder
1 tbsp dutch cocoa powder
4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. plain yogurt
1 1/2 c. mashed bananas (about 3)

preheat your oven to 375 F. Position the racks low in the oven. spray your muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray/ or line with paper liners.

Combine the flour, oatbran, b. powder, salt, 3/4 c. of the nuts, espresso and cocoa powders in a bowl, stir well.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in the vanilla, yogurt, and mashed bananas. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, and gently combine them (don't over mix).

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins (I used my ice cream scoop) and top with the remaining 1/2 c. of nuts and bake until golden, about 25 minutes.

I found that this batter made 12 regular sized muffins - baked for 25 minutes and 12 mini muffins - baked for 14 minutes.

Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack.

Enjoy! healthy and yummy. who could ask for anything more?

No comments: