Friday, March 20, 2009

cupcakes...such a sweet little treat ;0)

I think just about all of my friends celebrate their birthdays in March. It also seems that many of my colleagues are celebrating their birthdays as well. This week two of the ladies at work got to celebrate another year - so I decided to make some cupcakes for the office. The request was chocolate and caramel. So this is what I came up with. Can I just say... W-O-W! these little treats pack a real punch. I'm already thinking about the next time I will bake them - and what additions to make (just cuz that's how I am)

White Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Butter Cream Icing
ingredients: (cupcakes)
8 tbsp white chocolate chips
1/2 c. (1 stick) of butter, room temperature and coarsely chopped
3/4 c. b. sugar
1/4 c. corn syrup
2/3 c. milk
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 c. self-rising flour
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 330F. Line a 12 case cupcake tin with paper liners (or make them a little smaller and the batch can make 18 cupcakes).

Combine the chocolate, butter, b. sugar, c. syrup and milk in a saucepan. Stir (continuously) over a low heat (a level 4) until everything is melted and combined. Take the saucepan off the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, sift the flours together and mix into the caramel mixture (always in the saucepan). Stir in the egg.

Divide the batter between the cupcake liners - I made 18 yesterday, so it came out to 2 mini ice cream scoop full in each cup. But if making 12 cupcakes, 2.5 scoops per cup.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Remove the tins from the oven, transfer the cupcakes to a rack and cool completely.

ingredients: (Milk Chocolate Butter Cream Icing)
1/2 c. butter, room temperature
2/3 c. icing sugar (heaping amount)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp. very hot water

beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Combine the cocoa powder and water together until well mixed (use a bit more water if need be). Add the cocoa mixture to the butter and sugar mix. Beat well. The icing will be smooth.

using a piping bag to whirl the icing onto the cupcakes.

Really lovely. I'll let you know how I decide to twist up this winner of a recipe.

No comments: