Wednesday, March 4, 2009

untraditional meat loaf

I wasn't raised on meat loaf... not really a very French Canadian meal :0) A couple of years ago I found a recipe in Canadian Living for their healthy version, and thought it was worth a shot. Their version, Garden-Style Turkey Loaf became a favourite - leftovers in a sandwich was always a good brown bagged lunch (delish)...

I thought it was time to pull this recipe out. I decided to use ground bison instead of turkey (I'd had enough poultry in the last couple of weeks) - and I also changed up the spices and added a couple dashes of hot sauce! Easy to make - seriously 10 minutes to prep, 60 minutes to bake, done.

Bison & Veggie Loaf
ingredients:
1 1/2 lb ground bison
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained (1 frozen package)
1 c. oats, uncooked
1 onion, finely chopped
1 zucchini, shredded
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 c. milk
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp spanish pepper
a couple dashes hot sauce
2 red hot peppers, finely diced

Preheat the oven to 350F.
In a large bowl, mix everything together. Combine. Shape it into a loaf pan.
Bake for 60 minutes.

That's it. Super simple and easy.

No comments: