Sunday, May 31, 2009

a hot little stir fry

My favourite part of going to Stone Faced Dolly's for brunch is not only the molasses bread (which is so good) but it's also trying the assortment of hot sauces. Every time I think I've picked my favourite one, I try a different flavour. I brought home a bottle of the Jamaica 1492 and pulled it out today when I was making lunch.

I was basically grabbing things out of the fridge to create a really simple and fast lunch and added several dashes of the hot sauce for an added kick! Any hot sauce will do - this "recipe" is just a reminder that you don't always have to use hot sauce once the food is cooked - it's a good marinade as well.

Season according to taste - I seem to like things HOT!

Cleaning out the fridge Chicken Stir Fry
ingredients:
1 chicken breast, cut into slices
hot sauce - in my case it was Jamaica 1492
salt and pepper
jalapeno pepper, diced
cayenne pepper
1/2 red pepper, cut in slices
left over diced canned tomatoes (about a cup)
chicken stock
handful of spinach
juice of 1/2 a lemon


Combine the hot sauce, the salt and pepper, jalapeno pepper and cayenne pepper together. Add the chicken and allow to marinade - I'd recommend at least 30 minutes - but if you need to eat immediately, then you can start cooking everything.

Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray - or use some olive oil (up to you). Once the pan is nice and hot, add the chicken and stir fry for about 4 minutes (or no longer pink) - the strips should cook quickly enough. Remember, this is a fast lunch :0) Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.

Throw in the sliced peppers and cook them until they're a little tender. Add the canned tomatoes. This is where I added some chicken broth - it thinned out the tomatoes a little and allowed me to stir the cooked in flavours from the bottom of the pan (the jalapeno from the chicken marinade).

Once the sauce thickened a little, return the chicken to the pan to heat it back up. Throw in the spinach to allow it to wilt a little. Once everything is heated through, take the saucepan off the heat.

Add the juice of the lemon - it should really bring out all the flavours. Like I said, this is really just a simple and easy lunch that can be made when you want to make use of your leftovers. Just remember to use some hot sauce :0)

No comments: