Wednesday, August 26, 2009

apples and rhubarb...

I had that left over rhubarb and needed to use it up - well, wanted to use it up rather than freeze it is more correct. As mentioned, when I made my divine strawberry-rhubarb pie i found this pie a little tricky. I learnt a lesson... use more cornstarch... I needed to thicken up my filling.

So I gave it another try - only I swapped the strawberries with apples - after work, the market was closed so I had to make do with what was in my fridge - and I was not disappointed. I honestly just made the filling... and have been slowly eating away at it... I did intend to make a pie crust, but sometimes, you just can't be bothered :0)

Apple-Rhubarb Jelly Filling
ingredients:
3 c. rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 apples, cored and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 c. white sugar
1/3 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. water
1 tbsp lemon juice

Over medium heat, dump everything except the lemon juice in a large pot. Stir everything together to well combine and allow it to come to boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cover the pot, allowing the rhubarb and apples to soften up. Once everything thickens up and softens up to your desired consistency (about 10 minutes) remove the pot from heat and stir in the lemon juice.

You can fill a pie with it, top some toast... or be like me, and just eat it by the spoonful. Seriously I ate it by the spoonful. The sour sweet taste just kept me wanting more :0)

No comments: