Monday, October 19, 2009

the trio of pies


See that picture? Those are the 3 pies I served at Thanksgiving dinner... lemon meringue (which you've all read about numerous time before), apple cheddar (last night's post) and finally the classic pumpkin pie.

I've made this version of pumpkin pie several times now - it's Julie's mom's favourite dessert (as she says, "it's always pumpkin pie season") and my recipe is S-I-M-P-L-E. Really and truly simple.

You don't need to worry about spending your evening in the kitchen slaving over your oven. All you need is 5 minutes with either your blender or stand-mixer and a working oven. That's it. I promise.

I had doubled up the recipe since I wanted to make 2 pies... I actually ended up with: 3 x 9-inch pies and 1 x 8-inch pie - just by doubling it. You could also use the leftover filling to bake some custards... or just make lots of pie and spread the love in the office the next day :0)

Pumpkin Pie
ingredients:
2 eggs
1 1/3 c (400 ml) pumpkin puree
3/4 c. honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp pumpkin spice mix
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c (250 ml) evaporated milk
1/2 c. regular milk
1 unbaked pastry shell

You'll need to preheat your oven to 425F.

Now, place all the ingredients in a blender or in your stand-mixer and blend until smooth.

Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell.

Bake for 15 minutes @ 425F, then lower temp to 350F and continue baking another 45 min (your knife will come out clean).

Remove from heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.

That was it. I promised you a simple recipe - and I am confident this delivers.

*I know that thanksgiving has come and gone for us in Canada - BUT pumpkin puree and evaporated milk are still on sale in your grocery stores... just a suggestion...*

No comments: