Friday, December 4, 2009

a little tartness is a good thing...






I baked more scones. Yes, I know. More scones. Please don't be bored. Because these are really really delightful and perfect for the holiday season. A combination of tart dried cherries and mini dark chocolate chips... pop one of these mini scones into your mouth and you will be reaching for the next one.

I was a little apprehensive about trying this because it meant using a new recipe. You see, I really heart my other recipe - which is basically my base for scone making, but... you have to live a little and try new things - so this is me living on the edge ;0) I set my apprehension aside and pulled out my excitement... after all, new flavour combo! Whoot Whoot!!!

Since I'm blogging about this I guess you've gathered that I liked this result. Not only did I like it, but I'm committing myself to adding these to my holiday gift basket (aka Christmas brunch with the family repertoire).

Be forewarned, you need to actually really enjoy eating dried cherries... if you don't, check out some of my other scone recipes. There is something there for everyone :0)

Mini Dark Chocolate Cherry Scones
ingredients:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c. cold butter, grated and chilled in the freezer for at least 5 minutes
1 egg
2/3 c. heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 c. dried cherries, coarsely chopped
3/4 c. mini dark chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 375 F. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

note: wax paper will burn... I learnt that at 3 am... parchment paper will not burn... there is a difference...

In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Use your paddle attachment to mix everything together.

Add in the cold grated butter and mix for about 90 seconds at the STIR speed. You want the flour to start clumping up just a little bit.

Turn off the mixer. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, heavy cream, vanilla and almond extracts.

Make a small well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the heavy cream into it. Mix everything (again, at the STIR speed) until the dough looks a little moistened. Add in the chopped cherries and mini chocolate chips. Turn on the mixer a final time and incorporate them into the batter.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it gently. Shape the dough into a log, grab a sharp knife and cut into 10 pieces - then cut those again in half. This creates the "mini scones" - if you leave them be, you'll get regular sized scones (I actually made two batches, one of each and both bake really well).

Line your cookie sheets with the scones (either 10 regular or 20 mini scones) and return to the freezer for at least 30 minutes.

Once the dough has chilled, brush the tops with an egg wash (lightly beaten egg) and then sprinkle sugar on top.

Bake in the oven - 15 minutes for the minis, 25 minutes for the regular ones.

Once golden on top, remove them from the heat and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes... or just grab one and enjoy... ;0)

No comments: