Tuesday, January 26, 2010

the white nut... the coconut!






The cupcake. A perfect treat for any occasion. Especially a birthday celebration! I made this mini little treats as an extra dessert for Céline's Thai themed party (the birthday cake was the mango-ginger cheese cake).

It was the first time I had tried any recipe from my new cupcake cookbook... some people liked the result (I being one of them), some people weren't too keen... so I guess I'll leave it up to you to decide.

I turned to cupcakes; a fine selection of sweet treats for my baking inspiration that cold January day... the pictures are absolutely beautiful, the flavour combinations make my mouth water... and since I had just bought the book, I figured I should give it a chance. I'm glad I did. The trick with cupcakes is not over baking them... I think I left these in a little too long... I'll remember that the next time I attempt to bake them.

Fluffy Coconut Cupcakes
ingredients:
2 c. self-rising flour
1/2 c. flaked coconut
1 c. white sugar
1 c. buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp coconut extract
4 1/2 oz butter, melted

Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line 36 mini muffin cups with paper liners.

In a medium sized bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, coconut extract and melted butter together.

In the bowl of your free standing mixer with your paddle attachment, combine the flour, coconut and sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in the wet ingredients.

The batter will become quite thick and fluffy - resembling almost a pancake batter.

Divide the batter evenly among the paper liners - about 2 tablespoons per mini cupcake liner.

Bake for 12 minutes (this is where I over baked a bit... no more than 15 minutes!) , remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting each cupcake.

Coconut Frosting
ingredients:
2 1/4 c. icing sugar
1 1/2 c. flaked coconut
2 1/2 oz butter, softened
1/2 tsp coconut extract
2 tbsp - 1/4 c. hot water


In the bowl of your stand mixer (use your paddle attachment again), combine the icing sugar and coconut. Add the butter, coconut extract and enough hot water to make a spreadable icing, adding it by the tablespoon.

Once the frosting is ready, place it in a piping bag (about 1/4 c. at a time), grab a tip that is quite large so that the icing can be piped easily. Pipe the icing and then (optional) sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes to decorate.

I think these cupcakes were adorable... one-bite treats for everyone to enjoy.

No comments: