Thursday, March 26, 2009

nutty eh? or just NUTELLA!

ok... so the title of my blog today is a little lame. But I wanted to include my homemade Nutella recipe. The last time I made this I used really dark cocoa - this time I stuck to a regular dutch cocoa... I think I prefer it this way. The result is just a bit sweeter - which is nice since the cupcake recipe I combine it with uses only bittersweet chocolate.

As long as you have a food processor - and don't mind hearing it run for about 5 minutes (nonstop) then you're good to go. And you'll impress the pants off your friends and family. :0)

no name brand Nutella (ha ha ha)
ingredients:
1 c. hazelnuts, blanched
1/2 c. icing sugar
1/8 c. cocoa powder
1/8 c. canola oil (I used a safflower oil)

First - if, like me, you bought unroasted hazelnuts - then you'll need to roast them... put them in a pan over medium heat and heat them up for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place on top of a tea towel. Fold the towel over the nuts and then start to rub. The skin will rub off - again, don't worry if all the skins don't come off.

So once you have your blanched/roasted hazelnuts, put them in your food processor and start it! Let it run while your hazelnuts get ground up - keep it running until they start to form a ball on their own (about 3-4 minutes).

Add the icing sugar and the cocoa powder. Combine well in the food processor - again, let it run for about 2 more minutes.

While the food processor is still running, slowly add the oil to the mix so that it loosens it all up a little and forms a spread.

That's it. Pretty simple eh? Yep. The one thing you'll likely do is scrape down the sides while the hazelnuts are being ground up and then again once you add the sugar and cocoa. Other than that, this pretty much makes itself. I heart my food processor :0)

Place in a tupperware container and store in your fridge. They say this should last 3 weeks... but really... as if Nutella EVER lasts that long.

No comments: