Friday, July 10, 2009

the end is here...

Just of my cookie week! Don't worry - you can't get rid of me that easily ;0)

Over the course of the last 4 days I tried and tasted some recipes from some of my favourite blogs - however, I couldn't let this week go with only making other peoples cookies. So this last one is my personal childhood favourite. My friend Robin's mom used to make them, and when I got my hands on the recipe I tweaked it a little - adding a bit more spice, a little less butter - but have found that they are popular as ever!

This recipe makes about 5 dozen cookies ... these not only pack a punch, but are a nice thin cookie - perfect for dunking into tea or milk. I would say these are just about perfect!

Gingersnaps
ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
Raw sugar, to coat (I use large brown sugar, but white will work too)

Preheat your oven to 375 F. Make sure that your racks are in the middle and upper parts of the oven (too low and the cookies will burn). Line your cookie trays with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, molasses and egg until nice and fluffy. Again, this is when you want to do the majority of your beating - so that the dough doesn't toughen up once you add the flour to it.

In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, b. soda, salt, and spices.

With your wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until just combined.

Form the dough into small balls and roll each one in the raw sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet - these do expand as they bake.

Bake for 11 minutes. Allow them to cool on the tray for a couple of minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Not only do these taste great - but they freeze well, and can be ground up to form the base for cheesecakes or to top ice cream with!

No comments: