Thursday, July 16, 2009

marshmallows...

Ever since I watched Alton Brown make marshmallows on his show Good Eats, I knew that I wanted to attempt making them too. Then I was looking around smitten kitchen's blog and saw that she too had a recipe for homemade marshmallows (spring, fluffy marshmallows). That was it - I knew it was time to give it a try... plus, I figured, if they work out, next time I go camping (or to Gigi and René's cottage) I can bring some along for the bonfire!

One thing I learned (even though I was warned both via blog and the food network) - marshmallows are sticky little things - so make sure you have everything you need before you start. Other than the clean-up factor these are pretty simple - and worth it! No more store bought marshmallows for this girl...

Marshmallows
ingredients:
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. corn syrup
3/4 c. white sugar
1 tbsp powdered gelatin
2 tbsp cold water
2 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. powdered sugar, divided

Before you start, pull out a square brownie pan and butter the bottom and sides of it well, then dust with some of the powdered sugar (the base should be lightly covered). Set aside.

Put the 2 tbsp of cold water into a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Allow to stand so that if softens.

I then whipped up my egg whites in a large bowl, getting them to a soft peak stage. Set aside.

Now, in a tall saucepan over medium heat combine the water, corn syrup and sugar so that the sugar can dissolve. Allow to reach a boil without stirring it - you want it to reach that soft ball stage (as mentioned in my Toblerone Cream Meringue recipe).

Remove the syrup from heat and add the gelatin to it - start to whisk with a wooden spoon - or, use your electric beaters (clean them after beating the egg whites) to get it as incorporated as possible.

Pour the syrup into the egg whites and add the vanilla. With your beaters on high, keep whipping everything until the result is stiff white cloud.. oh ya, and by this point you'll notice that it's pretty sticky!!!!

With a rubber spatula, transfer from the bowl into your pan, spreading it out so that the entire pan is covered. Sprinkle with more of the powdered sugar - an important step, since this allows for easier removal of the marshmallows once they set.

Allow to chill in the fridge, uncovered until firm - @ least 3 hours (and up to a day).

Once set, sprinkle some powdered sugar on your clean surface (I used a wooden board). Run a knife along the edges of the pan and loosen the square of marshmallows out of the pan and place on your surface/ board. Grab a sharp knife and cut into little cubes.

Note: I had to loosen the bottom of the marshmallows with my fingers, slowly "un-gluing" it from the bottom... they are sticky so it take some patience and a bit of extra effort.

Put the remaining powdered sugar in your empty pan and roll the marshmallows through it (all sides should get covered - it prevents them from being too sticky).

These can be packed away in an airtight container for a week.

No comments: