Friday, September 11, 2009

brownies... triple sigh....

My kitchenaid is being used and abused (not really abused... I'd never do that, but I am using it)...

One of the beauties to come out of my oven this week are these brownies. Seriously - remember how I swore my gluten free brownies were the best EVER... these ones are pretty top notch as well. The gluten free ones are fudgy and gooey... these brownies are a little more cake-like. BUT totally DELISH.

I had invited the girls over for some vino tonight - good company on a Friday night. Who could ask for a better way to end the work week and bring in the weekend? I had promised them a treat... and originally had hoped to bake them a pie, but I just didn't have the time - so I figured it was time to bake some brownies. And I wanted to try a new recipe.

If you've followed this blog for a while you'll know that I heart peanut butter. I heart chocolate. And I heart bananas. I combined this trio and the result - a pan full of yummy. Sigh. We all went back for seconds (and thirds) - brownies, wine and a good chat - that is the kind of stuff life is made up of!

Peanut butter and Banana Chocolate Brownies
ingredients:
1 c. pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp vanilla salt (or just regular salt)
1 c. brown sugar
2 ripe bananas
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. cocoa powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c. milk
handful peanut butter chips and white chocolate chips

*don't worry you aren't missing anything - no eggs or butter in this recipe.

Preheat your oven to 375 F. Spray a square pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda and powder and the salt.

In your kitchenaid bowl (or a large mixing bowl) beat the sugar and bananas together until they become really creamy (setting 2 on the mixer, or a medium speed on your beater).

Add the peanut butter to the banana/sugar mix and combine (Stir setting). While the beaters are still going add the cocoa powder, the vegetable oil and the vanilla. Increase the speed of the beaters (setting 4) to really combine everything.

Now add the flour mixture to the batter and slowly incorporate. With the beaters going you'll want to slowly add the milk. Once everything is combined turn off the beaters.

With a wooden spoon, scrape the sides and stir in the chocolate chips. The batter is going to be REALLY thick and sticky. But that's what you want.

Now pour the batter into the pan and spread it out evenly. Bake in the oven for about 22 - 25 minutes (if you want it more fudgy bake it closer to the 22 minute mark).

Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan. I actually threw the pan into the freezer for 7 minutes to cool down really quickly (since I baked them about half an hour before my guests arrived).

You can frost these if you want to, but I think they are perfect as is. Bliss.

No comments: