Friday, September 4, 2009

i heart my sweetie pie... aka my KitchenAid

So... as you know, I bought my KitchenAid Accolade 400 on Tuesday. An event that brought a HUGE smile to my face. I'm going to let you in on a little secret... I'm not having a very good week. You know, sometimes things happen that make you take a step back and reevaluate what you're doing and where you're going... this week wasn't one of those weeks. The events of this week just made me plain ol' sad... life happens and we deal with it - but sometimes you just wish that it didn't make you want to cry.

So buying this expensive (even @ sale price) new gadget and baking some goodies seemed like a good way to try and take my mind off of things and decompress. That's exactly what I did last night - I decided to drown my sorrows in some butter, sugar and cocoa powder.

The recipe comes from the KitchenAid recipe book that was included in the box with the mixer... the cookies turned out great, but the best part is that they lifted my spirits just a little... Seriously, it's incredible how simply turning the "stir" speed made me giddy... I am a true baking geek (and very proud of it)!

Oh yes - I meant to buy a new camera in order to take better pictures and impress everyone with a visually beautiful blog... but the KitchenAid came first :0) Please be patient friends... pictures will come (I promise).

Macadamia Chocolate Chip Cookies
ingredients:
3/4 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. cocoa powder
225 g (1 pkg) dark chocolate chips
100g macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat your oven to 325 F. Spray two cookie sheets with nonstick spray and set aside.

Place the sugars, butter, eggs and vanilla in the mixer bowl. Attach the bowl and the flat beater to the mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix for 30 seconds. Stop and scrape the bowl - then increase to Speed 4 and beat for another 30 seconds. Scrape the sides with a spatula.

Turn to the Stir Speed (this is when I became giddy). Gradually add the baking soda, salt, flour and cocoa powder to the batter. Mix for 2 minutes. Scrape the side and beat at Speed 2 for another 30 seconds.

Add this point turn your mixer back to the Stir Speed and add the chocolate chips and the nuts and just blend - about 15 seconds.

Lift the flat paddle out of the batter and grab your little scooper.

You'll want to scoop the dough onto your cookie sheet - about 2 inches apart - I was able to bake 8 cookies per sheet at a time (they do tend to spread out while baking).

Bake for 13 minutes - they'll look a little undercooked but that's ok. Let them sit on the cookie sheet for a minute or 2 and then remove them to completely cool on a wire rack.

The recipe said that you should get 48 cookies - I got 55 cookies out of the dough. Plenty to share (which I did) and plenty to indulge in as well (I did that too). I'm still sad, but at least now I know that I can get giddy just by turning on that "Stir" speed :0)

No comments: