Saturday, October 17, 2009

lovin' from the oven continued...



As promised, here's the update:

... I got home from work, opened the oven, and there it was. My bread had risen. To me it was perfect. A perfect first attempt. I punched it, formed it and left it for about 45 more minutes. Instead of baking it in a loaf pan I just left it on a cookie tray and baked it at 400 F for about 30 minutes... that is where my eagerness kinda ruined it... my bread isn't fully baked. The centre is just a little raw... but really, add some honey and it just tastes gooey and warm and delicious. Right now I have another loaf rising... I know. I am obsessed.

What I learnt from my first attempt at bread:
- 2 packages of dry active yeast - well.. it'll result with your entire apartment smelling of yeast - aka beer!
- 3 tbsp of brown sugar was perfect, ensuring that the bread wasn't too sweet.
- forgetting the salt... not the end of the world. BUT I didn't forget the salt this time.
- 4 c. of flour, added a cup at a time was perfect - and today I even added the flour a 1/2 c. at a time to better control the amount that I used
- glazing the top of the dough with milk was brilliant; as was sprinkling cornmeal on top before baking

check out my (very fuzzy) pictures... I've nicknamed this loaf "the mushroom" (you can understand why).

I'm super proud that I produced something edible.. and can't wait to see how this next batch turns out.

And ChloƩ... make those sticky buns - the yeast isn't that scary... except that today I'm using LIVE YEAST!!!!!!!!!! (you should all smell my fridge).

Viva bread!

No comments: